Sunday, January 7, 2018

Looking for a support group

Several years ago, when my health took a downturn, I took a look at all of the special interest groups I paid dues to, and culled the list.  I spent time to evaluate all of the groups in terms of how much effort I put into them, and what perceived benefit there was.  One or two were iffy, some I left and never looked back.  I kept only two, and one of those because I was a life member, with no cost involved.

I firmly believe that you get what you put into an organization.  So when I get involved, I usually volunteer quickly, as I've found it a great way to get to know people and get to know the organization.

This fall, in a better place health-wise, I re-joined one of the iffy groups and signed up for a very new group just getting organized.

Today was my first membership meeting with the "iffy" group.  I went prepared to volunteer.  One of the reasons I had decided to re-join was that I had been told that there was a whole new group of people who have become active since I left.  What a disappointment!  Same old, same old.  Same people and same issues.  But some of the programs that caused me to join in the first place, those many years ago are still active, and appear to offer a potential opportunity for me.  So, I will give them this year, a hold back from volunteering, until I get to see if there might be other  opportunities I've missed.

No comments: